For the twelfth year in a row, the RoboJackets will be hosting the 2020 Regional FRC Kickoff at Georgia Tech on January 4th, 2020. Teams are required to register on the FIRST website for the kickoff. The kickoff will consist of breakfast, guest speakers, live broadcasting, robot demos, and workshops. The event will begin with breakfast and team check-in at 8:00 AM in the Ferst Center lobby. The kickoff presentation will take place in the Ferst Center starting at 9:30 AM and after a lunch break workshops will be hosted in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building.
Please check this page before coming to the event as any updated information will be posted here.
- 8:00 AM – Event opens to teams with breakfast. (Student Center Ballroom)
- 9:00 AM – Ferst Center doors open
- 9:30 AM – Welcome talks (Ferst Center w/ overflow seating in Student Center Theater)
- 10:00 AM – Kickoff Broadcast starts (Ferst Center & Student Center Theater)
- 11:00 AM – Virtual Field Viewing & Kit of Parts handout; two team members and a mentor to pick up kit (Ferst Center loading dock)
- 12:30 PM – Loading dock closes; end of kit of parts distribution
- 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch break (lunch not provided)
- 1:00 PM – Workshops begin
- 3:30 PM – Workshops end
The 2019 FIRST Kickoff map is included here for reference. Once specific locations are confirmed for the 2020 kickoff, an updated map will be published. Please note that while unlikely, some locations such as parking facilities may change.
Download a printable, non-interactive version of the map here.
Parking will be available on the Georgia Tech campus. More specific details will be added closer to the event.
Workshop information is not final and is subject to change.
Workshops are vital in creating an easy transition into the start of the FIRST season. One of our primary goals is to have all teams who attend the workshops leave with a KOP robot that will require only some final assembly. We highly encourage teams to attend these helpful workshops to learn and receive guidance. The workshops will be located in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building. Please note that cutting or sawing any components is strictly forbidden.
The following are the five workshop tracks that will be available for teams:
- Mechanical (Klaus Rm. 1456): Building the mechanical parts of the provided KOP.
- Electrical (Klaus Rm. 2443): Assembly of the electronics, wiring guidelines, and a few pointers on past problems.
- Strategy Brainstorm (Klaus Rm. 1443): Teams will be given the opportunity to go over rules and discuss gameplay strategies.
- Java Programming (Klaus Rm. 2447): In this workshop, RoboJackets will be helping you set up your own laptop with the tools needed for Java programming and creating basic code for a drive train in TeleOp and Autonomous. Please bring your laptop to participate in this workshop or you can come to take notes and follow along!
- Bumpers (Klaus Rm. 2456): This workshop is all about how to properly build bumpers for your team’s robot. This workshop will be led by Robot Inspectors.
- Safety (Klaus 1116): This workshop will discuss the importance of safety leadership and go beyond safety glasses and a Band-Aid. This workshop will be presented by Chloe Lowe from team 6705, WildCat5e.
- Rookie / New Member Quick Start (Klaus Rm. 1447): This workshop is geared towards rookie teams and new members of existing teams, learning the tips and tricks on how to get through your first build season.
Here is a list of tools for the mechanical and electrical parts of the Robot Quick Build Session:
- Cordless drill w/
- 3/8″ socket
- 5/16″ socket
- 9/16″ socket
- 5/32″ Ball End Hex Bit
- alternatively, bring the equivalent hand tools
- 1/2″ Combination wrench
- Tape measure
- Marking pencil/pen/marker
- Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers
- Wire strippers
- Wire cutters
- Wire crimpers – a good set with handles at least 7” long
- Phillips screwdriver ( #2)
- Flat Screwdriver
- Wago flat screwdriver (supplied in FIRST kit)
- 3/8” combination wrench
- 10mm combination wrench
- Tape measure
- 7/16” combination wrench
If you have any questions, please contact Evan Strat at firstname.lastname@example.org